- 1 package of GATC Sweet Italian Sausage
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 to 6 cups chicken stock, ideally homemade
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 1 ½ cups Arborio rice
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup packed and roughly grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- ½ of 1 lemon
- ½ cup finely chopped Italian parsley leaves
- In a heavy skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat, add olive oil and turkey sausages. Cook covered for 7-10 minutes and turn every 2 minutes the until internal temperature reaches 165° F. Remove sausages, keep warm and set aside.
- Pour the stock into a medium saucepan or pot, and bring to a low simmer. While the stock heats, return the heavy skillet or Dutch oven to medium-low heat, and butter. When the butter foams, add the diced onion, and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until it is soft and translucent, approximately 5 to 7 minutes. Add the rice, and stir until well coated, adding another tablespoon of fat if necessary. Stir until translucent, an additional 5 to 7 minutes.
- Raise the heat under the rice to medium, and add the wine to the skillet. Stir until wine is absorbed, then reduce the heat slightly. Begin adding ladlefuls of hot broth to the rice, stirring constantly and allowing each addition to be absorbed before adding the next. Cook rice until it is tender but slightly chewy, approximately 20 to 30 minutes. You may not need all the broth. You may need more than you have; if additional liquid is needed, you can use boiling water.
- Remove the skillet from heat, and add the cheese, stirring to mix it into the rice. Add sliced turkey sausage piece to the rice, and stir again. Taste, and adjust seasonings with additional salt and pepper if necessary. Squeeze the lemon over the rice, and then mound the risotto on a large, warmed bowl. Scatter the parsley over the top, and serve immediately, with more grated Parmesan on the side.
Gobble up and enjoy!